If you are earning rental income in the UK, understanding your tax obligations is crucial. Filing a self assessment tax return for landlords can be complex, but with the right knowledge and guidance, you can ensure compliance and maximise your financial benefits. In this blog post, we will provide a quick guide to help private landlords navigate the process of filing a tax return in the UK.

Do I need to file a Self Assessment Tax Return for rental income?

As a private landlord in the UK, filing a tax return is a legal requirement when earning over a certain threshold. Self-employed people and landlords earning over £1000 in a tax year have to file a Self Assessment return with HMRC. This first £1000 is tax-free. Failing to file a tax return can result in penalties, fines, and possible legal consequences.

Require accounting services?

Get in touch with our expert accountants today! Contact us via WhatsApp for personalized financial solutions.

Key Steps in Filing a Tax Return for Landlords in the UK

1. Registering for self-assessment

To begin the tax return process, you must register for self-assessment with HMRC. This involves obtaining a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number, which will be used to identify you for tax purposes. Registration can be done online through the HMRC website.

2. Organising your rental income and expenses

Keeping detailed records of your rental income and expenses is essential for accurate tax reporting. Maintain a comprehensive record of all rental income received and associated expenses incurred during the tax year. This includes rent received, property repairs, insurance costs, mortgage interest payments, and other relevant expenses.

3. Understanding allowable expenses

Certain expenses incurred as a landlord are deductible, reducing your overall taxable income. We provide a breakdown of allowable expenses below, such as property repairs, maintenance costs, letting agent fees, landlord insurance premiums, and more. Understanding these deductions will help you optimise your tax position.

4. Keeping accurate records

To support your tax return, it’s important to maintain accurate records. Retain invoices, receipts, and relevant documents for at least six years. These records will serve as evidence of your income and expenses, ensuring transparency during any potential HMRC audits.

Tax-Deductible and allowable Expenses for Landlords

There are two types of tax-deductible rental expenses, allowable expenses and domestic items. These costs can be deducted from your total income as tax relief before calculating your taxable income and final tax owed.

how much tax do I pay on rental income; tax return for landlords; self assessment; rental income; london accountant

Allowable expenses for rental income

Allowable expenses are the day-to-day running costs for providing a rental property, which can be deducted from your income before calculating tax. These do not include improvements to the property.

Repairs and maintenance
Expenses related to repairs and maintenance of your rental property can be claimed as deductions. This includes fixing structural issues, replacing faulty appliances, and general upkeep of the property.

Insurance premiums
The cost of insuring your rental property is an allowable expense. This includes landlord insurance, public liability insurance, and any other relevant policies.

Letting agent fees
If you engage a letting agent to manage your property, the fees you pay to them are deductible expenses. This includes tenant finding, advertising, and property management fees.

Other allowable expenses
There are various other deductible expenses that landlords may incur, such as legal and accountancy service fees, council tax, utility bills, and cleaning services.

Tax deductible Domestic items

The costs for replacing furnishings in rental property can be deducted from your income before calculating tax. However, to qualify for this tax relief, the old items being replaced must no longer be used at the rental property.

Domestic items include:

  • Beds.
  • Curtains.
  • Fridges.
  • Crockery and cutlery.
  • Carpets.
  • Sofas.

Tax relief for mortgage interest payments

If you have a buy-to-let mortgage, you can receive a tax credit amount equal to 20% (the Basic Rate of income tax) of your mortgage interest payments. This does not reduce your total taxable income, and therefore does not help keep your taxable income in a lower tax bracket.

This means that individuals in the Higher Rate (40%) or Additional Rate (45%) income tax brackets do not receive full tax relief on their mortgage interest payments. Read our guide to Personal Income Tax for more detailed information on income brackets, tax bands, and available income tax relief.

Important Deadlines for landlord tax returns

The self-assessment tax return deadlines in the UK are the same for landlords, self-employed individuals and those looking to claim income tax relief. The tax year runs from April 6th to April 5th the following year, and the tax return must be filed by January 31st following the end of the tax year. It is crucial to adhere to these deadlines to avoid penalties. You can learn more with our post detailing HMRC self assessment penalties for failing to file returns / pay tax on time.

Transform your financial strategy with expert accountants in Wimbledon. Book an appointment with Cigma Accounting!


Need Assistance from an Accountant?

We’d be more than happy to help you with your accounting needs in London, or anywhere else in the UK!

Reach out to us by completing this form and one of our staff members will get in touch within one business day. 

Wimbledon Accountant

165-167 The Broadway



SW19 1NE

Farringdon Accountant

127 Farringdon Road