DUTY FREE LIMITS WHEN returning from ABROAD
Looking to understand the ins and outs of UK duty-free allowances? At CIGMA Accounting, we’re committed to delivering the latest, most accurate information to help you enjoy your international travel stress-free.
When returning to Great Britain (England, Wales, Scotland) from abroad, here’s a rundown of what you can bring back duty-free for personal use.
You are permitted to bring back:
- 200 cigarettes, 100 cigarillos, 50 cigars, 250g of tobacco, or 200 sticks of tobacco for electronic heated tobacco devices. Feel free to divide these allowances; for instance, 100 cigarettes and 25 cigars are perfectly fine.
- 18 litres of still table wine.
- 42 litres of beer.
- 4 litres of spirits or strong liqueurs exceeding 22% volume or 9 litres of fortified wine (like port or sherry), sparkling wine or other alcoholic beverages under 22% volume. A split is possible here as well; for example, 4.5 litres of fortified wine and 2 litres of spirits meet the limit.
- Other goods, including perfume and souvenirs, up to the value of £390. For those arriving via a private plane or boat for leisure, the limit is £270 tax-free.
Require accounting services?
Get in touch with our expert accountants today! Contact us via WhatsApp for personalized financial solutions.
Returning to northern ireland from the eu
For those returning to Northern Ireland from an EU country, no limits are imposed on tobacco or alcohol, provided you can prove that the goods are for your personal use, and all relevant taxes and duties were paid at purchase. However, HMRC suggests these maximum guidelines:
- 800 cigarettes
- 200 cigars
- 400 cigarillos
- 1kg of tobacco
- 110 litres of beer
- 90 litres of wine
- 10 litres of spirits
- 20 litres of fortified wine (like port or sherry)
Exceeding these numbers may trigger additional inquiries from HMRC.
Need Assistance from an Accountant?
We’d be more than happy to help you with your accounting needs in London, or anywhere else in the UK!
Reach out to us by completing this form and one of our staff members will get in touch within one business day.