As a UK company director or employee, you may be required to travel for business purposes. It is important to understand which travel expenses can be claimed as tax relief against corporation tax or personal income tax.

Here is a brief explanation of which travel expenses you can and cannot claim:

Can I claim travel expenses from HMRC? london accountants


  • Public transport: The cost of train, bus, and taxi fares for business-related travel can be claimed.

  • Car and mileage expenses: If you use your own car for business travel, you can claim a mileage allowance. Alternatively, you can claim the actual costs of using your car for business travel, such as fuel, insurance, and maintenance costs.

  • Subsistence expenses: You can claim the cost of food, drink, and accommodation when travelling for business purposes.

How to claim for mileage from HMRC

You can claim mileage from HMRC on your Self Assessment tax return if you are an individual or your Corporation Tax return if you are filing for a limited company . You can only claim for trips you had to make for work. Importantly, this does not include driving to and from your home and your work.

You can claim the ‘approved mileage rates‘ of up to 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles you travel in a financial year, and 25p per mile thereafter. These rates include not just fuel costs, but also estimated maintenance and road tax.


  • Non-business travel: Any travel that is not related to your business, such as commuting to and from work, cannot be claimed.

  • Entertainment expenses: The cost of entertaining clients or suppliers, such as meals or theatre tickets, cannot be claimed.

  • Non-business accommodation: If you decide to extend your stay and spend some time on leisure activities, any accommodation costs for non-business purposes cannot be claimed.

Need Assistance from an Accountant?

It is important to keep accurate records of all your travel expenses, including receipts and invoices, to support your claims for tax relief. If you are unsure about which travel expenses can be claimed or how to keep accurate records, it is recommended that you seek professional advice from a qualified accountant.

We’d be more than happy to help you with your accounting needs in London, or anywhere else in the UK!

Reach out to us by completing this form and one of our staff members will get in touch within one business day.