Avoid fines, register as a childminder

The UK Government takes childcare seriously, and requires that those providing childcare services are registered for the safety of workers, parents, and children.

If you provide childcare services outside of a home, such as a creche, you will be subject to different rules. But for those providing care in the home, you must register as a childminder if all of the following apply:

  • the children are under the age of 8;
  • you look after them for more than 2 hours a day;
  • you look after them in your own home; and
  • you get paid to look after them – including payment in kind.

Require accounting services?

Get in touch with our expert accountants today! Contact us via WhatsApp for personalized financial solutions.

Who doesn't need to register?

You do not need to register (though may still choose to) if you are:

  • a nanny
  • a tutor
  • a babysitter and you look after the children between 6pm and 2am
  • a family friend and you look after the children less than 3 hours a day.

What do I need to register as a childminder?

You can register through Ofsted or via a childminder agency. You will need:

  • an enhanced check with barred lists for home-based workers from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS);
  • first aid training for the age group they will look after;
  • childcare training;
  • a health declaration booklet;
  • contact details for 2 references; and
  • a certificate of good character from an embassy – if they lived abroad in the past 5 years.


If you need help registering with HMRC, our accountants at CIGMA Accounting would be happy to assist. You can contact us here for a free quote.

Wimbledon Accountant

165-167 The Broadway



SW19 1NE

Farringdon Accountant

Better Space

127 Farringdon Road